History

1993

Llei de Residus 6/93, de 15 de Juliol, (Waste Regulation Law) approved by the Catalan Government, establishes the collection and regeneration of used mineral oil as a public service. Through public tender, Cator becomes the only concessionaire in Catalonia for the comprehensive management of used mineral oils.

Cator’s project was the only one to integrate the management of oil, from its collection through to regeneration, making it a sustainable process.

Cator was co-founded with 90% owned by the German company RWE Umwelt and the remaining 10% by the Waste Board of the Catalan Government – as specified in the requirements for the concession.

The collection of used oil starts as in addition to an awareness campaign promoting the proper management of mineral oil waste among all stakeholders

1995

Cator puts into operation a Regeneration Plant in Alcover, built from an old vegetable oil factory.

1998

The regenerated base oil produced by Cator (Regenoil®), is suitable for manufacturing all kinds of lubricants. It became the first regenerated oil composition in Europe to obtain European and American certificates and approval (ACEA’98 and API).

1999

Cator, in collaboration with FL Iberia from the Magneti Marelli Group and Infineum, launched Ecoroil oil on the European market. It was the first motor oil from 100% re-refined mineral base oil to meet the highest quality requirements in Europe (ACEA-98) and North America (API). This guarantees the sustainable loop of usage, collection and recovery.

2000

Cator sets up an Environmental Education and Training Scheme (CEFMA) in its facilities at the Alcover factory. CEFMA is open to the general public (schools, universities, etc…) and aims to promote sustainable development and best environmental practices.

Cator obtains ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certifications to guarantee the quality of its products sold as well as the optimum environmental management of all related production processes.

2001

Cator begins to regenerate oil from outside Catalonia.

2002

Cator backs the creation of the Spanish Global Compact network of the United Nations, becoming its founding member and signing the Ten Principles of corporate responsibility promoted by the agreement.

2003

An important change in the shareholder basis takes place: shares of the RWE Umwelt group are acquired by the Catalan group GBI Serveis, based in Lloret de Mar (Gerona).

GBI Serveis is a leading business group, strongly committed to the environment. It brings broad experience in design, construction and maintenance of public spaces as well as urban and industrial waste management.

2004

Cator invests over 2 million euros in environmental improvements at the facilities in Alcover, making the new Waste Water Treatment Plant (PTARI) the most significant investment. The new plant enables the maximum usage of water without causing any impact or discharge to the environment.

2008

Cator obtains the OHSAS 18001 certificate for Health and Safety in the Workplace.

2010

Cator obtains a new emblem for the quality of its regenerated lubricants (Distintiu de Garantia de Qualitat Ambiental).

2013

End of the public concession. A cycle of 20 years is closed. During this period of time Cator managed to turn the Comprehensive Management of used oil into a success case and a benchmark replicated in several locations worldwide. A new stage with new challenges starts for Cator that reaffirms its commitment to the environment and the sustainable management of used oil.

2014

Cator consolidates market position with a year-on-year increase of 9% in volume of regeneration of used oil at the Alcover Plant.